Our Spiritual Life
Our Spiritual Life as Part of Our Balanced Life
We were all created to live forever. THat is why our spiritual life is so important. Our time on earth, be it 100 minutes or 100 years, is such a small sliver compared to eternity.
I talk to people all the time that act as if this earth is all there is. Far from it. Right now you might be saying, how can you be so sure?
I was once just like these folks I speak to. As a child my mom sent us to Sunday school and vacation bible school. Despite having to dress up for Sunday I did enjoy it. Later, as a young man living on my own I never went to church. Saw no reason too. My spiritual life did not seem important to me.
While dating my wife we attended church because she and her parents did. Once we married and were out on our own, we did not go to church. I never thought about my spiritual life. In 1975 I got off track taking drugs and was arrested. As a first offense it was a minor affair. The shock of the event drove my wife and her sister back to church.
I was about to learn the power of prayer. Even though I had been arrested, I still continued hanging with my druggie friends.
Meanwhile my wife had enlisted some prayer warriors in the local church to pray for me and our spiritual life. Two of my so called friends and I decided to get high one night in one of the guys basement apartment.
God was about to answer their prayers.
We were taking a very pleasurable drug. While doing so, suddenly I heard a small voice saying to me: What you are doing is wrong! I heard this voice speaking to me over a course of several hours. No one else heard a thing.
He also said this: Compared to heaven the pleasure you are feeling is like being on the 1st step of 7 steps. I interpreted that to mean that heaven must be a very great place. That was to be the last time I used drugs, but I didn’t know it, yet.
My wife had been after me to go to church every week. The next day on Saturday she asked me again. To her surprise I said yes. I wanted to find out what was going on as I had never heard a voice speaking to me like this.
Sunday we went to church and though I heard no voices, but God was calling me to turn away from living for myself and my own pleasure. That Sunday morning I confessed that I was a sinner and accepted Jesus Christ as my savior.
Has my life been perfect ever since? Of course not! The old me keeps trying to take over and drive instead of letting God do the leading.
In March of 2004, a short while after I had a stroke, it was time for God to step in again. Again it was those prayer warriors. Right after my stroke we had asked our prayer team to lift me up to God.
Within 2 weeks of the stroke I had a day when everything from morning until nightfall was getting me angry. By bedtime my blood pressure was back up to stroke level and I feared that I would die that night. I was taking my medications but today, nothing was working.
Again, I am thankful for the people who were praying for me.
My wife knew what was going on, as I had said, I can’t go to bed yet I might die. As we got ready for bed my wife said: Let’s get a word from God. She opened the bible to the book of James where he speaks of anger. As soon as she read the passages I knew we had heard from God and said to her: We can go to bed now I know now that I will not die tonight.
Why was I fearful? Deep down I knew that I had fallen away from right living. There were things in my life that were not right. She went to sleep but God was speaking to me and revealed to me all the sin I had allowed back into my life.
That night at 3 a.m. again I confessed my sin and yielded all I had held back over to God. I felt great joy as his spirit filled me up. I was so excited I called relatives and friends to let them know I was living not dead.
Some thought I was crazy! That was o.k. I woke up my wife, said: Get ready, we are going out to celebrate. At 5 a.m. we were going out to breakfast.
I had been so weak from the stroke that I hadn’t been driving at all. This a.m. I was to drive but only through God’s power. There was more to the night but that’s all we’ll speak of for now. After this I slowly regained my strength over a period of several months.
I have shared my story to share a few truths with you. We do not come to God on our own. He draws us. Does he speak to everyone like he did me? No, everyone is different. He did what he had to to get my attention.
Today there mare people who will tell you: There are many ways to God. This is not true. His word says there is only one way to God. This is something you will need to check out for yourself. At the end of this article are several Biblical references for you to read that will spell out the truth to you.
Let me make it clear. In no religion ever did the leader come and take the penalty for anyone's sins and die for them. Yet Jesus did that for us. Why? Because we couldn’t do anything to save ourselves.
Here are the scriptures and the order I would read them.
1. We were created by God. - Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
2. There is only One God. - Deuteronomy 4:35 You were shown these things so that you might know that the LORD is God; besides him there is no other.
3. Man has sinned and is separated from God. - Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.
4. We have ALL sinned. - Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
5. We cannot deny it. - I John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
6. What’s the big deal about sinning? - Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, (that is eternal separation from God) but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
7. The Penalty of Sin - Ezekiel 18:4 For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son—both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die.
8. God has high standards we are not able to meet as sinners. - 1 Peter 1:16 for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."
9. God takes steps to solve our problem. - Romans 5:8-9 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!
10. More scripture on this. - John 3:16-18 For God so loved the world (that’s us) that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
11. Wise men ask, must we do? - John 3:3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."
12. How are we born again (or saved)? - Rom 10:9-13 That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame. For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
After reading these, if you are ready to hand the reins over to God and be saved you can do so by praying this simple prayer: God I know I am a sinner. I have failed to live a perfect life. I have sinned against you and broken your laws. Please forgive me. I confess Jesus Christ as Lord of my life. Thank you for saving me.
What’s next? The bible says, as a new Christian, you need to fellowship with other believers. Next, you should find a church that believes the whole Bible is the word of God. Ask God to guide you to the right church. He will. When you get there ask: Is there is a new believer class or training you can take?
If I can help you any any way I will. Simply use the feedback form on this web site to contact me.
We are spiritual beings trapped in a human body while here on earth. We were made to speak and fellowship with God daily. That’s where prayer (talking and listening to God) and reading his word (the Bible) comes in.
You need your own Bible. You can learn more about the Kingdom by reading his word. As you read you’ll grow in your spiritual life. As a new believer I would start out by reading the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Then progress on through the rest of the new and old testament. Ask God to have his Holy spirit to help you understand what you are reading.
God asks us to set aside a day of rest each week for him. In this living a balanced life segment, earlier we have talked about taking time for our families, spouse and work we enjoy. Taking time out for God is more important than any of these. We’ll be spending eternity with him so let’s get to know him now.
Our church home:
The Church of Hope.
Leave Spiritual Life and go back to Well Balanced Life